Hi! My name is Randy Lubin and today we're going to conduct an experiment. The goal is to explore the social network of Listserve members.
Each participant will start an email chain that will eventually reach me, but only by going through friends / acquaintances. By analyzing the chains we can learn about the structures of our social networks.
Rule 1: If you know Randy Lubin, forward this email to [email protected] and included your current city
Rule 2: If you don't know Randy Lubin, forward these instructions to someone you know, who might know him.
Rule 3: As you forward the email, include your current city (I'm going to map out the different chains)
A bit about me to help you in your quest:
1) I am 26 years old and grew up in Livingston, New Jersey
2) I went to undergrad at Washington University in St. Louis and graduated in 2009
3) I went to Stanford for an MBA and graduated in 2011
4) I live in San Francisco, California
5) I'm active in the tech / startup scene and work for a company called Jive Software
As the email chains start reaching my inbox, I'm going to create a map of all the different paths. I'll also write up some interesting insights from the data and share them with all of the participants.
This could be very interesting - I hope you enjoy this!
San Francisco, CA
p.s. this is based on the Small World Experiments by Stanley Milgram in the 1960s. Check it out on Wikipedia if you want to learn more - it's tied closely with the concept of 'six degrees of separation'.