I can't believe it's finally my turn to be on The Listserve. It's almost frightening thinking that your email will go out to the significantly large number of people who are already on this list. Some have already written while others are waiting their turn, reading each email for inspiration in preparation for when their turn will also arrive.
So that begs the question...what do I write about? What's going to make an impact on somebody's life? It's a question I often ask myself when I'm blogging (reallifehappens (dot) tumblr (dot) com) and most often times either words of advice or quotes come to mind. With that being said, here are some quotes and advice that will hopefully impact someone reading this:
1. "Believe you'll achieve, doubt you'll go without." A simple, yet extremely powerful statement. Believe in yourself, even if nobody else does.
2. "All around the world we are gazing skyward waiting for God, never realizing that God is waiting for us." One of my favourite Dan Brown quotes from The Lost Symbol. Go after what you want, because it's waiting out there for you.The time will pass regardless of how you spend it, so use it wisely.
3. Do the things in life that YOU want to do, not what everyone else says you should be doing. At this point in my life, lots of people are trying to convince me to travel...but I have other hopes and dreams that I want to accomplish before I travel. Like buying a house, having a steady job that I love, have a degree in Social Work, have a permanent travel partner (aka husband). Just because everyone else my age is travelling doesn't mean that I have to as well. Do things on your own time, and you'll enjoy them far more.
4. Do nice things for people. It doesn't have to be anything big, just something to encourage people to pay it forward. When you do something nice for someone, you feel better and you always get rewarded for it somehow.
5. Be less judgemental. "Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." You never know what goes on behind the scenes in someone's life.
6. Be thankful and appreciative for all things in life. Be thankful for the warm sunshine, a hot cup of coffee/tea, the means you have to read this note, your friends and family, the cashier at the grocery store...like smiling and doing nice things for people, it's not only contagious but makes you feel happy too.
7. Learn to listen just as well as you speak. Sometimes people just want someone to listen to them. Learn to ask questions and then when you ask, actually listen to the words they say and provide advice/help only if they ask or it is required. There is nothing wrong with not having an answer to the problem.
8. Take time to read and educate yourself. It doesn't have to be a book. It can be an article you're interested in, a magazine you like, the newspaper, a book you just bought or one you have read multiple times before. Whatever you read will teach you something, which is ultimately better than learning nothing at all. Educating yourself is one of the greatest things you can do in your life so make the effort to do it, regardless of how you go about doing it.
I hope this inspires you in some way or another!