* I’ve done some sort of physical activity every day. This has been a top priority of mine
* Running – there’s a track nearby that’s been wonderful. I used to run track in high school, and it feels like an old friend. I’ve gotten much faster!
* Sleeping well!
* Being kind to myself, and noticing when I’m not
* Bought a new set of toothbrushes. They’re my new favorite (called the Nimbus)
* I’ve been living in a wonderful community for 5 months now
* Cooking once a week, for 2 hours
* Made bread for the first time
* Gardening! I planted seeds for the first time. They haven’t yet flourished, but I have hope.
* Lots of time hanging out with people and eating dinner with them
* Breakfasts are often my favorite
* I also do what I can to help out – cleaning, organizing things, and helping out with a transition to Slack
* We had an event called “roomwarming” where everyone shows off their room to the house. I made crepes and got the house to play the game Sardines
* Set up a new router
* Customized my room to hang my skateboard and bike, and installed shelves
* Our house got 3 new kittens! I try to see them most days. I sometimes just brush my teeth next to them.
* Reading a few random magazines, books (I randomly saw a new book by John Krakaur, who’s one of my favorite authors. I wasn’t interested in getting into the gritty details of Mormon Fundamentalism , but the first 20 pages were fascinating.)
* Writing this blog post!
* Software Design
* I’ve been learning software design principals from a friend of mine in Boston. Most recently, I put together a design case study of a popular open source repository.
* I’ve been taking two classes at a nearby college: Programming Languages and Databases
* Small Tasks
* Diagnosed the check engine light and SRS light on my car
* Bought a monitor on craigslist
* Bought a bike on craigslist (and got locked out of my car, eek)
* “Fun” things
* I did a scavenger hunt with some friends.
* Various house gatherings and parties
* Catching up with friends
* Went to my first EDM concert
* Fountain Hopping
* Iceland for 10 days
* White water rafting
* Burmese food for the first time
* Various parties and gatherings at friends houses
* I’m visiting Boston this weekend to hang out with friends! It took a decent amount of planning.
* Learning Adobe Illustrator – about 8 hours in total
* Art! I used colored pencils for the first time in over 6 years
* Science Hackathon
* Visited my friend at a nearby college he’s teaching at
* Experimenting with coworking – I have a few friends that also don’t have full time jobs, and I’ve been learning what it’s like to work with them
* Beginning to learn Piano. I’ve practiced on 7 different occasions over the past 2 months (or so my notes say).
* A group of friends and I have each built our own 6-week curriculum to follow. Mine focused on learning more about jobs. We met once a week to present our progress.
* I went to a yearly gathering at the Internet Archive
* Investigating the life of being a software contractor
* I did 28 hours of contracting for my past company
* I filled out some profiles to help get matched with other companies
* I talked to a friend that’s been contracting for 2 years, and has been loving it
* Things I have purposefully not been doing
* Reading any kind of political news
* Reading my facebook news feed (I’ve disabled this for 2.5 years now)